The first step was concept art from Kyr’am Oya’karir adding two white stripes and a red stripe down the middle.

Primer silver, base coat gloss black, gloss red pepper accents/center stripe, metallic silver cheeks, and white pin stripes. Key is to use the same brand paint for all applications and not to mix paint brands.

The helmet upgrade from Kyr’am Oya’karir’s original Jango Fett 2-piece (J2P) helmet is a fiber resin cast from Lonewolf Customs. The helmet is a Rebels Grunt helmet and the price is exceptional. I am not a fan of the swamped market of 3D printed helmets. It is extremely difficult to sand out all the print lines for the Mandalorian Mercs official membership application.

The first step is to cut out the visor at the front and then the key slots at the back of the helmet. I also grinded the line down the middle of the cast. Once all the cutting was completed I washed with warm water and dish soap to get rid of the resin residue and the fibers from cutting the helmet. Then I used sand paper to wet sand out the grinding marks across the dome.

The helmet was then air dried before the next step of priming the helmet.

The primer coats were completed with Krylon metallic silver. Several days of drying because of the colder temps here in North Dakota. Above you can also see the primed helmet next to the original J2P helmet.

Once the primer coats had dried it was time to tape up everything for the black base coats. The drip lines will be used later in this build with weathering.

Gloss black base coats completed. Then the helmet sat for a few days to cure/dry completely.

The next step was to tape up for the two white stripes down the middle of this helmet. It was done after the black was added as that is how pin stripes are normally added, after the base coat is on.

The drip lines were removed with an exacto knife and that also served for weathering this helmet. The helmet and all parts must have the same weathering applied.

Next was prepping for the accent paint. Gloss red peppered paint.

The weather was warmer than expected for the end of October, but the curing/drying of paint still took a few days. Weathering was also applied to any paint drips and a flathead screw driver was also used to do this in addition to an exacto blade.

White pin strips were added down the face of the visor area. A red stripe down the middle of the dome between the white stripes and the ear caps were painted black.

Scoring, chipping, removal of paint was performed across the whole helmet.

I really like how the marks show across the dome stripes go down to the black base coat.

The next step, I like to call carbon scoring. I have seen and tried multiple methods to apply this across helmets and armour. Carbon dust with charcoal, black wash with watered down acrylic paints, and others. My favourite application is spraying a rag with black spray paint and then rubbing the paint into the helmet. After that is applied I use acetone to lighten some of the areas and bring out the colors better.

The inside of the helmet I paint black with acrylic paint. This is to help hide the wearers face and make the inside uniform in color. Acrylic paint is also used to prevent the wearer from smelling spray paint constantly, as it doesn’t have much of a smell.

I really liked this helmet from Lonewolf Customs that I bought one for my brother’s kit to upgrade to as well. He currently has a PLA 3D printed helmet and that doesn’t do too well in extreme heat/cold.

Above is the helmet looks like finished weathering with carbon scoring.

Kyr’am Oya’karir was able to stop by yesterday for fitting and last finishing touches.

We added the visor with hot glue, the rear screen at the key slots, and helmet padding to prevent bobble head.

Kyr’am Oya’karir (Korbin Koenig)

Kyr’am Oya’karir wearing his new bucket/helmet. Excited to finish the rest of his kit.

Kyr’am Oya’karir’s Helmet