With the switch from sintra armour to metal I needed a better material for my flak vest to be made of.  After talking with my clan (Oyu’baat Clan logo seen below) members I found that either pleather ‘artificial leather’ or what everyone seemed to be using was duck cloth.

Oyu'baat Clan

I went to the three stores searching for duck cloth and found some green duck cloth on sale the particular weekend I went.  I also found a pattern for a Renaissance Doublet.  This vest was going to open at the sides instead of the back like my last flak vest.

DSCN4644DSCN4645

So I measured myself with a tape measure and started cutting out the patterns and laid it out on the ground.

DSCN4647 DSCN4650.

I placed the armour where it was going to go on the vest and then started figuring out how to make the sleeve wing for the shoulder bells.

DSCN4905 DSCN4909

I put the wiring from my wife’s throw-away sunhat into the fabric to give it the curve and support.  Then I started the sewing process.

DSCN4910 DSCN4911

Sort of what the flak vest looks like, pre-amour, pre-openings on the side to bring in the vest for a tighter fit.

DSCN4913

Placing the shoulder bell on the flak vest.

DSCN4916 DSCN4915

Lining up the armour with the vest.

DSCN4925

Tracing where the armour was to sew on velcro.

DSCN4927

The velcro got sewed into place, but I still need to get in there and cut away velcro sticking out on the sides of the armour.

DSCN5040

It fits a lot better than the V1 out of sintra.  Still needs some work to adjust plates (see second picture the right side plate is sticking up into the neck plate).  The abdominal plate also needs some trim work to remove existing velcro.

DSCN5030 DSCN5132

Suited it up, but still needs some work.  This includes sewing the sides of the vest and attaching velcro to close it after putting it on.  You can see the vest is not connected from the back to the front in both of the pictures below.

DSCN5143 DSCN5147